Getting back into a routine during Covid
Most of us are feeling completely out of a healthy routine because the COVID-19 pandemic has us staying home. With a big reduction in our daily exercise, healthy eating and social events the motivation to getting back into it may seem overwhelming. Here are some tips on how you can get some control - even when things seem out of control and get back into a healthy routine.
- Sleep Routine: As adults we require 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep for optimal health! Create a set bedtime and wake-up time that you can stick to at least for 5 of the 7 days of the week.
- Eating plan: Plan your daily meals with timings, you should eat three balanced meals each day around the same time. Eating consistently each day can help manage your appetite and having a schedule can also help reduce any emotional snacking/eating.
- Stay hydrated: Drink water throughout the day. Keep a bottle of water close by as a convenient reminder to take a sip. Set daily goals like – Tuesday 2L of water for the day
- Physical Activity: Get moving every hour (even if it’s just a walk around the room). Designate a specific time each day to do some form of exercise. Online exercise videos are easily available and are a great way to ensure a balanced workout which includes a warm up, cool down and stretching.
- Connect with friends and family: Make time in your new daily routine to connect with family and friends over the phone or video calls like Zoom just for a check in and to show each other some support during these strange times.
- Journal: Try keeping a personal journal and write down the things that are on your mind during this time. Focusing on what you can control, what keeps us sane and what keeps us somewhat positive. Add some drawing or coloring to help with stress relief.
- Clean and Organize: Make your bed every morning, organize your drawers and closets and the kitchen so that your physical environment is as relaxing as possible. If you have kids at home, give them age appropriate chores to do as well.
- Plan out Your daily tasks: Plan your task strategy to optimize your daily time and motivation allocation. Start off with the smaller tasks to warm up for the bigger tasks, reward yourself with a quick break or health snack for those really big tasks you might have not been looking forward to.
- Focus on Your Health Care: Stay up to date on the current Covid-19 stats and status in your community. Stay active and healthy and practice safe social distancing and wearing of masks and gloves. Ensure if you are unwell to visit your doctor and communicate with your friends, family and colleagues.